Wells GC recently played the two return fixtures in the Avalon League friendly matches.
In the first Wells went to Worlebury having comprehensively beaten them at home earlier in the year.
- Paul Cullen & Darren Barnett went out first and lost 3&2.This set the tone for the day unfortunately.
- Malcolm Terry and Nick Poore found some solice in an halved match.
- Ashton Wylie and Peter Cherry succumbed 4&3 ,
- as did Glen crocker & Nick Wilson.
- Finally , Bill Mc Collum and Ben Barnett lost 3&2.
Thus the result from Wells was reversed and Worlbury got a thoroughly deserved revenge win.
In the second fixture Wells went to Weston with confidence from a thorough beating of Weston at home.
- Mike Magrath & Nick Poore started off really well and won 4&3.
- The captains were matched up in the second match and once again ex Wells member Grant Rogers and his partner were found wanting.Glen Crocker and Rory Passmore handed them a 3&2 loss.
- Malcolm Terry and Mike Metcalfe played long hitting opponents but used guile and experience to edge the match , winning on the 18th 1up.
- Weston fought back as Mike Vincent and Paul Cullen lost 5&4 ,
- and then Nick Wilson & Darren Barnett lost 4&3.
As ever the Weston greens were superb and playing in a 3 club wind challenging for all.
So Wells scraped home 3-2 to do the double!
Both fixtures were played in a wonderful spirit and also decent weather , dry and warm.
Return to News Page